When multiple cells are seen to grow frenziedly in one of both of the lungs, it is called as Lung Cancer. The disease is also known as carcinoma. Doctors warn against smoking as this has identified as the main cause of this type of cancer. Growth of lung cancer is invariably associated with the formation of tumours by abnormal cells. These are then appearing to hinder the normal functioning of the lungs.
The symptoms of lung cancer are identified through Chest X-Ray. The performance of this X-Ray is dependent on the situations. The Surgical Oncologist in Mumbai may suggest this as part of the exclusive check-up. Doctors make suspicion for the existence of lung cancer based on the persistence of any one of the following:
- Throughout the existence of cough
- Presence of Blood in sputum (spit or phlegm)
- Shortness of breath— might happen either on exertion or at rest
- Chest pain
- Gruffness in voice
- Unwanted loss of weight
- Pain in Bone
Smoking is identified as one of the premier reasons for Lung Cancer. The Surgical Oncologist in Mumbai speaks for the acquittal of smoking. They say that you are the purchaser of cigarettes. Therefore, you can always control the habit of smoking just by not purchasing these. There are other factors that you can’t control, e.g. your genetic effect or family history.
Other Risk factors include:
- Heredity: Lung cancer can be carried forward through the hierarchy. If your parent, sibling or anyone having similar relation with the subject, is him/herself a victim of lung cancer, the disease can be spread hierarchically to you.
- Passive Smoking: A non-smoker can be affected by the smoking of any person nearer to him. Researchers believe that Cancer is more severe with a passive smoker.
- Exposure to radon: A natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water gives rise to the Radon. It tends to mingle in the air within a short lapse of time. This gas is extremely harmful to our body system.
- Exposure to carcinogens: Exposure to asbestos and other forms of carcinogens is one of the prime causes of lung cancer. These carcinogens include arsenic, chromium, and nickel. A smoker gets a quick invasion of Lung cancer in such an environment.
Lung cancer may give rise to several complications. These include:
- Shortness of breath: When cancer is spread in a way that makes it block the major airways, then it hinders the normal breathing process. Cancer at Lung may also facilitate the accumulation of fluid around the lungs. This makes the expansion of lung an impossible task during inhaling.
- Blood Coughing: Bleeding in the airway is one of the main consequences of lung cancer. This might lead the victim to cough up blood. Sometimes the bleeding becomes severe. However, there are treatment options to control such bleeding.
- Fluid in the chest: Fluids accumulate in the space surrounding the affected lung in the chest. This is called the pleural space. This fluid might also be responsible for shortness of breath too. The adoption of proper measurement can drain the fluid from the chest. This reduces the possibility of repetitive pleural effusion.
- Pain: Lung cancer spreads to the lining of a lung or other parts of the body when it is in an advanced stage. Progressing to another organ will cause pain. The patient must inform the doctor about the existence or prevailing of the pain.
The specialist Surgical Oncologists in Mumbai advises certain methodical practices that can reduce the risk of invasion. However, there is no confirmed preventive method for Lung Cancer.
- Avert Smoking: Doctors advise their patients to stay away from smoking. They ask the patients to tell their children about the benefits of non-smoking. Such counseling helps the patient with an understanding of this major risk of lung cancer.
- Termination of smoking: Acquittal of the habit of smoking reduces risk factors of lung cancer. This offer is equally viable for common people. They can consult doctors for developing a strategy whose deployment will enable them to quit smoking. The patients, as well as common people, may use stop-smoking aids available in the market that would help in quitting smoking.
- Try to avoid passive smoking: Passive smoking poses an equal, or many a time, more threat to life. Therefore, non-smokers, as well as cancer patients, should always avoid those people who have the habit of smoking.
- Carcinogens are to be kept away: People must avoid being exposed to toxic chemicals at work. Employers issue the mode of precautionary measures to be observed in a working place in which the employees must bear into their minds. Employers can issue devices that will help get the protection. For instance, a face mask is often provided by employers to work in hazards. Putting on the mask is obligatory while doing work in such places.
- Patients must grow a habit to take healthy diets and enough fruits in their daily intake.